Bending Moments in a Portal Frame
This structure is for the study of bending moments and sway in portal frames.
Students use masses on weight hangers to apply various loads to a portal frame. The portal has three members: a horizontal beam and two vertical members or ‘legs’ joined at two upper corners. All members are of the same material and have the same flexural rigidity, i.e. value. Deflection is measured by a digital indicator.
- Strain gauge linearity
- Using strain measurement to find the bending moment
- Bending moments and sway for vertical and horizontal loads
- Bending moments for internal and external moments on vertical members
- Comparison of ideal and non-ideal structures
Essential Base Unit:
- Structures Test Frame (STR1)
- Structures Software (STRS) for virtual experiments OR
- Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000) for automatic data acquisition and virtual experiments
OVER 35 YEARS OF SERVICE
Providing insight, selection, installation, and ongoing support of the latest educational and career technology.Request a Quote Learn More About TecQuipment